Monday, October 06, 2008

FAITH = GREED Pt 1

OK. The title of this blog is the title of a book that I am working on.

I've been a person of the Christian faith for 16 years, almost exactly. At the time, I was employed by Merrill Lynch, the investment bank. From the outset, I found the greed factor highly refreshing, it was overt and "clean"; not covered up with any real noble causes. Make money for others, make money for yourself.

Upon coming to Christ however, I did have a crisis of whether to stay involved in such a business. My resolution, be a person of faith, and attract the curious.

So suffice it to say that the word Greed, the Gordon Gekko "Wall St." kind of greed, has been well absorbed into my psyche and understanding. As a trader in the markets, you had to understand this word. It was, and is, one of the driving forces from which all self-interest of its participants could be understood. Analyzing the types and levels of greed, was helpful to my work.

The other driving force, is, of course, Fear. Suffice it to say that the systemic global financial risks that exist in the world today, would certainly be worthy of some fear. Fear of the known: things are going to get worse; fear of the unknown: how bad is it going to get. As a market participant, certainly fear is also a great thing to understand: your own, your fellow professionals, and the public.

I also developed quite a simple method of relative success. When I was most fearful, I bought. It worked. Turned out that my emotional decision making was no more sophisticated that a kind grandmother, responding to the headlines of the day. So when I wanted to buy, I sold. When I wanted to sell, I bought. 60/40 success rate was all I needed.

Well that's enough for Part One.

PS. Can't believe I didn't post in September. Must be something to do with moving houses (again) and travelling to Australia and back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Davisgsyj said...

Amiable dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.